Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Preparation For SSC exam

Being a parent of a class X student is not an easy task. This is my first hand experience. My daughter who is going to take her SSC exams in this March informed me that I have to be present for a meeting to be held in her school. “It means forget about your afternoon nap”, I told myself. Considering the fact that I need this so much, she seemed to be understanding and did not pester me to attend it.

As I learnt from her, the meeting was being held to discuss how students must attempt these all important papers. I didn’t know that this is something that the parents needed to know, and hence I showed my reluctance to attend this meeting.

While I was peacefully tucked in bed in the hot afternoon, my daughter came to me and woke me up. Apparently she seemed to be a little depressed that I was serious about not attending this meeting and she convinced me how important it was to go there.

Working women always live in the guilt of being not too helpful to their children and this guilt enveloped me at that instance and I decided to keep this appointment. On reaching the school, each of the subject teacher came forward and explained what the children must do while attempting to take this all important exam.

Listing a few instructions here that may be helpful to all the parents like me and also the students:

1. Make sure to take a photocopy of your hall ticket.

2. Keep the hall ticket at home for any emergency.

3.Do not leave your child and go away, be there at the examination centre until the paper begins and all is settled.

4. Go to the exam centre a day in advance and make sure that your ward’s roll number is written on the desk.

5. Make sure that the time-table you have is correct because there are composite Hindi, and Sanskrit papers that have different timings. One mistake can cause serious damage.

6. Go to the centre in uniform which will save your time in choosing what you want to wear.

7. Keep your pencil box ready a day in advance.

8.  Make sure that your ward has brought the hall ticket back after the previous paper.

9.During geography paper do not forget to carry stencil of maps along with well sharpened pencils.

10. Sleep well during the exam time to make sure you do not feel sleepy while attempting the paper.

11. Eat well and drink lots of water during exam days.

12.  Do not venture out in the sun during this time.

These were a few instructions given to the parents which I feel I must share with those parents who are as lazy as I am. For had it not been for my daughter I would not have gone for this meeting at all.

Best of luck !

No comments: